October Cont'd

I (marc here) have started writing down some thoughts and experiences in the format of 'travel sketches', mostly cause it's easier and funner than keeping a journal.  This is a genre that the famous poet, Basho, used to describe his wanderings through the countryside of Japan.  It uses alternating prose and haiku.  The following is a recent entry, excuse my amateur style.

Not a month into my course, I could see the brilliant changing trees on the road outside that separated me on the second floor of the philosophy building from the library across the road.  They astonished me every time I looked out.  But what's more, I couldn't understand why more people weren't as stunned and transfixed as I was.  They all seemed too tragically busy in their pursuits to take notice. It's one year later now:


Sycamores ablaze,
                 Campus lane's a still reward
            For those who seek none.


2 comments:

Olivia Meikle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olivia Meikle said...

Lovely as always, Marc. I wish I could write real haikus. I mean, not just the insulting kind.