A Lesson in My Own Cosmic Insignificance

{We're in China: it's amazing}


China is full of people happily living such a radically different lifestyle from my own it makes me question the reality I choose to live in every day back home.

Spending a day and night on the Great Wall helped to widen my perspective of my own life in the great span of human history (which is still only a blip in time). A thousand years ago, millions of nobodys -- with lives, personalities, desires, and goals like anyone today-- built the wall. and there I stood on it, in a future they could not have imagined. I am here only for my brief speck of time, my blip of existence, like the nameless millions who created that wall.


We camped in a guard tower on the wall (WAH?!) And staring up at the Milky Way from our stone bed, we recalled astonomy lessons about the unbelievable magnitude of the cosmos we are tucked inside. The earth is a grain of sand in the universe, and I am a speck of dust on that grain. What will I do with my miniscule space and millisecond of time in this universe? There are so many, SO MANY ways to live a life.


Read Marc's take on it.

3 comments:

Beth Rhoades said...

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the "Milky Way".

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

(Animated calliope interlude)

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

I wish I were there: Love Beth

Anonymous said...

How is it that you and Marc are in China? My oh my but you two are LIVING YOUR LIVES in all caps. Figurately and literally. ;)

Good for you!

KT and Lance said...

Seriously, you 2 rock! Paris....China....I'm having some serious envy right now! I'm on day 2 of a kido with Strep! Last night...he threw up in the car, and my hubby's been out of town for a week! China sounds wonderful!